Thursday, November 15, 2007

Font Problem Font Solution


OK, some of you may know about my latest battles with my huge font library on both my G5 at work and my Pro Book at home. I enjoy having massive amounts of fonts and dingbats but that can lead to trouble. I have Extensis Suitcase on both machines but that software is for the birds, it just sucks. I have experienced everything from un-viewable/un-decipherable web pages and content because the fonts were so screwed up, fonts turning themselves on and off, fonts disappearing, my font cache getting clogged up like the subway during rush-hour, fonts setting fires, fonts playing hookie from school, smoking cigarretes in the boys room and even fonts going on homicidal rampages.

I've had enough.

Well, look out misbehaving fonts. I think I may have found a great solution to all of your bad behavior–for FREE. It is called FontExplorer X and can be downloaded from the Linotype website. We all know who Linotype is right? They invented the machine that eliminated typesetting by hand. (The founder Ottmar Mergenthaler lived in Baltimore). Anyway, my point is they can be trusted to whip your belligerent and mischievous fonts into order. It is easy to install, it is easy to turn off any other font manager during the install, it is very easy to add new typefaces to your list, very easy to activate or deactivate fonts, works seamlessly with Adobe and Quark, it is good looking and there is a version for both Mac and PC and so far they have worked amazingly. No font problems at all, now they are all the sweetest little angels, thanks FEX!

No comments: