Monday, September 24, 2007

Colors.

Did you watch the Philadelphia Eagles football game on Sunday? While their performance on the gridiron was rather spectacular I was less than impressed with the throwback uniforms they sported during the game. I am an Eagles fan, have always been and I have seen those jerseys before but that only softened the horror of seeing them in action on the field. Was there actually a time when these uniforms looked nice? They certainly didn’t always invoke thoughts of vomiting and teams and fans took them seriously. I guess it is safe to assume that baby blue and gold at one time didn’t symbolize wimpy and sissy things. Real men wore powder blue. I have a hard time visualizing hard-bitten 1930s football players, wearing leather facemask less helmets, knocking the crap out of one another while sporting those colors. As hard as it is for me to imagine this it was certainly real. The Eagles did wear baby blue uniforms at one time and that made me think. As times change and trends come and go colors and color schemes evolve as well. I can think back to the early 80s when my parents had our house decorated with fallout inspired colors and designs that evolved from hippies and disco. Today those colors definitely evoke feelings in a person but those feelings are very different that the original intentions and hip-ness. When my parents decorated the house that way I’m sure their friends were impressed and they thought it looked great, today if you did the same thing people would think you might have been knocked on the head. How about pink? How and when did that become cool for guys to wear? How do these things happen? What powers in this world dictate to the public that pink is now cool or baby blue was once cool now it is lame. Are the fashion people responsible or is it the public who motivates them to bring a color in or out. Is it a reflection of the mood the people have? They say people living in the Northeast tend to wear dark colors while those in the Sun Belt like light colors. Is it the sun? Weather? Celebrities? I have no idea.

No comments: